Whats the difference between OtterBox Defender and Commuter Series?

Most of the time when I am on Yahoo Answers or any other forum people ask the same question over and over again: The Difference between Defender Series and Commuter Series. I decided to make this post on our blog today and try to explain the difference between the series of Otterbox cases.

The Defender series case is the most protection you can ever get from Otterbox. It’s indestructible case for those who do construction, police, fire fighters or any other tough job, where your smart phone or iPod needs a protection. I personally use a defender case even though I don’t do construction, because I like the way it protects. Only the defender comes with a belt clip holster, which can also be used a kickstand to watch movies and only defender has a built in screen protector. The way the defender case is built:
1) hard shell skeleton case which sits tightly on your device.
2) built in screen protector- the devices screen is fully usable through the clear membrane.
3) soft silicone case- wraps the skeleton hard case around.
4) silicone plugs for charging port,
silent switch, headphone jack, etc.
5) belt clip holster- rotating holster will hold your phone securely on your belt. Can also be used as a kickstand.
6) all the functions are usable through the case: camera, buttons, touch screen, charging port, headphone jack, etc.
For Blackberry phones Defender cases cone with the clear plastic protector for keyboard.
It’s the best case , but for those who say it’s too bulky there is a commuter series.

Commuter series has the most features of the defender case, but not all. For instance, commuter series don’t have the built in screens and the belt clip holster. Commuter is slimmer case comparing to the defender, but it gives a very good protection. It consists of several layers:
1) soft case – wraps around the device providing a shockproof protection.
2) hard case- goes over the silicone case an makes the soft case stay in place and at the same time prevents the device from cracking if it falls.
3) screen protection installation kit- clear screen guard, cleaning cloth, squeegee, instructions.
4) silicone plugs- covers charging port and the headphone jack. Please note: all the functions are accessible through the case.

Recommendation:
Don’t buy just the hard cases ( the ones they sell in the malls). If you drop your phone with the just the hard case on, it will pop open and the device will obviously crack.

About these ads

, , , , ,

1. #1 by carlos romero on April 22, 2012 - 4:37 pm

Hi! Is available the Defender case for SonyEriccson Xperia 10? Products can be ship to South America?

• #2 by John Terry on April 27, 2012 - 5:58 pm

Hi,
      Thank you for your interest in our products. We do have OtterBox cases for Xperia 10, but unfortunately we don’t ship to South America.
      Thanks and let us know if you have any questions.

2. #3 by debbie on August 7, 2012 - 3:27 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for making it so simple!!!

3. #4 by Kristynn Rodenizers on August 9, 2012 - 11:10 am

Good – I should definitely pronounce, impressed with your web site. I had no trouble navigating through all the tabs and related information ended up being truly simple to do to access. I recently found what I hoped for before you know it in the least. Reasonably unusual. Is likely to appreciate it for those who add forums or something, website theme . a tones way for your client to communicate. Excellent task..

4. #5 by amanda rodman on September 20, 2012 - 1:36 am

why don’t yall have the cute cases like the pink camo for the htc one x like for the iphone 4s. yall should make more options than there is out.

5. #6 by Laurie on October 14, 2012 - 9:23 pm

Is there a soft case for the defender too or just the commuter?

• #7 by John Terry on October 17, 2012 - 10:40 am

The Defender Series also has the soft rubber cover, which goes over the hard shell. In Commuter Series you will see the soft case going first and the hard plastic cover goes over the soft case. If you are looking for the most protection, go with the Defender Series.
      Thanks

• #8 by Kristina on December 3, 2012 - 11:40 pm

Hi. Are ALL port holes covered on the defender case? Is it water proof as well?

• #9 by John Terry on March 2, 2013 - 6:37 am

Hi,
        All the ports are covered, but the case isn’t waterproof. Its however water resistant, it will protect form rain, not from going under the water.

• #10 by Megan on July 11, 2013 - 5:23 pm

So you say that it’s water resistant, obviously I can’t go swimming with it, but if I drop it in the sink or something, will it still be ok? I’m debating between buying the Otterbox Defender or waiting for a Lifeproof to be released.

• #11 by John Terry on August 28, 2013 - 5:03 pm

Hi,
        I know of some cases when the phone was dropped in the sink with Defender case on it and nothing happened to it, but dont try it, because its not guaranteed. If you really like to have a “Waterproof” Case go with Armor Series or wait for the Lifeproof case. Lifeproof was purchased by Otterbox (just for your info) and now they will be making all the waterproof ones as well.

6. #12 by Lindsay on November 20, 2012 - 8:58 pm

Is the belt clip on the Defender removable?

• #13 by John Terry on March 2, 2013 - 6:37 am

Yes, the belt clip on the defender is removable and you dont have to use it.

7. #14 by brittni on January 10, 2013 - 4:08 pm

Is it better to get the commuter series if you like the defender series but just not the belt clip?
    I don’t really need all that protection, cause I don’t do anything super crazy with my phone. I’m just wanting to make sure if something were to somehow happen to my Galaxy S3. I’ve thought about the defender series, I just can’t do the belt clip cause I’d get really annoyed with having a clip on my pants. So I’m wondering if getting the defender series would be worth spending a little extra money if I’m not gonna be using all of it and I don’t need an something indestructible.

8. #15 by maizenbluedoc on August 14, 2013 - 11:25 am

I am interested in buying the Defender holster for my Samsung Galaxy S3, but I have the Commuter case. Will the Commuter case fit into the holster? This is the one: Belt Holster Pouch Clip For Samsung Galaxy S3 Otterbox Defender Case – Black. Includes A Silver Stylus Pen Clip (By Healthy Spending®)

• #16 by John Terry on August 28, 2013 - 5:01 pm

Otterbox Commuter doesnt have nor will it fit into any of the holsters made by Otterbox. You may buy a leathe pouch and place it in there, but it wont be like having a belt clip holster. Sorry

1. Is Motorola Xoom Tablet Drop Proof without OtterBox « Blog of OhCases.com
  2. Belt Clip Holster for OtterBox Commuter, Reflex and Impact Series? « Blog of OhCases.com
  3. Apple iPhone